• Team members ensure that guests are quickly seated at the appropriate table. They also hand out menus and educate customers on available food options.
Complete Food Preparation
• Before a restaurant opens, restaurant team members who work behind-the-scenes, such as cooks or line prep cooks ensure that certain foods are pre-made to facilitate faster service. They may cut and prep vegetables or cook menu items that take a long time to finish.
Serve Food to Customers
• Once the food is prepared, any restaurant team member may be called upon to deliver it to a customer. Whether working in a casual dining or upscale setting, team members must pay attention to order numbers and understand seating charts to deliver the right food to the right people. To keep food service effective, team members may need to communicate with kitchen staff or management.
Process Bill Payments
• They are required to follow appropriate cash-out procedures or use a point of sale system to record a customer’s total and help them pay their bill. They collect payments from guests, returning the appropriate amount of change.
Clean and Set Dining Areas
• During down times or in-between shifts, team members clean, sanitize, wipe down, or sweep areas where food is prepped or served. They also re-set tables, restocking dining utensils and menus to ensure every guest has what they need.